Friday, October 4, 2013

Lolita Blog Carnival: 3 Trends You Could Never Get Into


This weeks topic was three trends you can never get into. I tried thinking about the past but I have a terrible memory so I couldn't really think of things I never got into within the past 5 years. However this year and possibly part of last year, I remember trends that I definitely considered but stayed away from, ultimately.

1. Juliette et Justine
Yeah, yeah I know eeeeeveryone and their mothers are really in love with that brand. They are also coming to PMX. People are also excited about it locally. I personally cannot. Of course I love the art on the dresses, but the construction of the dresses seem rather dull to me. I understand that the business of the print sort of compensates for the overall dress design, but I don't think I would want to wear Jesus on my boobs or the white house on my skirt. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the prints. I loooove a ton of the prints presented from the brand. I love anything in relation to art history but I don't think I would wear it that way... Its just not me. Maybe after PMX my mind may change...

2. Shironuri
This has become rather popular ever since that article involving Minori appeared. I personally love the style and how she brings a more mori-esque feel to the style (considering most shironuris look rather frightening and prefer a more gothic outlook). At one point I even considered it... until Anime Expo. I though about sweating in all that paint, and how icky all the Marcelines, and Homestruck cosplayers looked at the end of the day. TBH, I don't want to look even worse with paint all over, possibly on my dress by the end of the day. Its again, probably not my thing afterall.

3. Super sweet toy and animal prints.
I am talking about Toy parade, or Dreamy Baby room, or anything of the like. I cannot for the life of me wear prints like that. I guess it might be because I just turned 25 and feel like I am maturing into the adult I am suppose to be. I know many will still say, "Oh, you're still so young," but even if I am still young, I realize that I am not 18, I am not 21, I am not in high school or college partying and messing around as much. I see myself sort of settling down in the next 5-10 years, and at the moment I am exploring the possibilities of my career and where I want to be in life. As such, I feel these sort of youthful prints do not suit me in terms of reflecting who I am. They may look cute on me, but I won't feel like myself in them.
There are some exceptions with carousels and dessert prints, but I feel like these are prints, I can tone down and show, hey I am still growing up, while I'm not completely there yet, I am getting close.

All in all, I feel like my lolita style is shifting again, where its becoming a more subdue sweet rather than OTT. Of course I may wear sweet in a more elegant way for OTT, but not super bubblegum-fairy kei inspired sweet like I use to.

~~Oli

---------------------------------------------------
~*~*~*~Lolita Blog Carnival~*~*~*~

This is a fun group that suggests themes and topics to blog about with regards to lolita fashion. Its lots of fun and very informative. If you have a blog, I suggest checking this group out by click on the banner on the table to your left.
Also check out other people who also posted about this weeks topic as well:

Lace ala Mode ~ Her Lumpiness ~ Dollhouse Diaries
Lolita Glamour ~ Alice in Lolita LandUnder the Parasol

6 comments:

  1. I hear you on the toy prints, I just wouldn't feel comfortable in them either. I also think JeJ's cuts can be pretty boring but the beautiful prints more than make up for it for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure my mind will change once I see the prints in person. I guess, for me I feel like I can purchase similar fabric at a fabric store or copy paste a portrait on spoonflower and make a skirt...

      but we'll see after PMX. My mind changes often depending on the topic and situation so I may end up liking JetJ after the con :3

      Delete
  2. I've always had respect for JetJ, and I find that lolitas do really interesting things with the pieces, but as far as the actual dresses do, I also find them a bit lacking for the most part </3
    I'm 100% on board with shironuri and toy prints as well! I always feel like I'm wearing a baby costume when I wear such childish prints, and shironuri always seemed like more trouble than it was worth to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah one thing is the dress, and another is how it is co-ordinated. I know there are a ton of talented lolitas who can co-ord the worst of the worst, or the most bland of dresses.

      Though I think my opinion on JetJ may change after PMX... who knows...

      Delete
  3. *Homestuck, hehe :D
    Being Homestuck cosplayer myself, I know that the facepaint isn't that bad, if you do it right. However, it can turn into hell if the weather is very hot and besides that, I can imagine that to pull off a shironuri makeup must be much harder than painting yourself gray.
    But nevermind, I could never get into shironuri as well. It creeps me out so much -.-
    I also get why you don't like JetJ that much. I feel the same about it.

    Stella's Ice Age~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >< So sorry I never know if it was homestruck or home stuck. I could never get into the actual story :(

      Yeah, Anime Expo was in july when it was super hot, so I can see a ton of people with some sort of paint sweating a lot when they stepped outside the building. I think in a very crowded area, a person can sweat and paint can get all over. Maybe one day i'll shironuri... once I get the courage to not get messy... which is difficult because I am a very clumsy person ><

      Delete

Your Comment <3